FreeNET is an affordable dial up internet access solution. The service is offered across Malawi wherever there is an MTL copper or ground line network at speeds of up to 56Kbps.
No registration or monthly subscription is required for internet access. The service uses the same units loaded for a voice call (for prepaid phones) or is charged like a voice call (on post paid phones)
What is needed?
- An MTL working prepaid or postpaid phone line
- A computer with Windows 98/2000/XP/VISTA and a Pentium III processor or above
- A 56k internal or external modem
For FreeNET configuration instructions. See Support
This is an innovative and affordable internet access solution offered through a technology called ADSL (Assymetric Data Subscriber Line) that makes it possible to transform an ordinary phone line into highspeed (broadband) medium for data, voice and video. You will be able to access broadband internet as long as your home/office is within 5Km radius from an MTL ADSL Access points. The requirements are: -.
- Existing telephone line (copper)
- ADSL Modem (Transceiver) – point at which user data is connected to the DSL line (purchased from MTL Service centres
- Monthly subscriptions of;
|128Kbps (unlimited 24 hrs)
- ADSL simultaneously keeps your internet connection and phone lines open and iether service can be used simulntaneously
- Ability to access speeds higher than you can have with a regular modem
- Downloads are faster than uploads which makes it ideal for situations where you need high volume of incoming data at low volume and (not at) outbound data
- ADSL uses existing wiring infrastructure of the telephone lines
- ADSL is secure, each subscriber is given a separate network so that vulnerabilities and intrusions are minimized
- ADSL service is always on – users do not need to dial a connection to gain access to the internet.